Lawyers in Dentons' New York office represent a broad range of businesses and individuals, including prominent financial services firms, multinational companies, emerging and closely held companies, entrepreneurs and high-net-worth individuals.
Benefit from working with lawyers who understand your business, listen to your specific goals, then customize innovative strategies to help you achieve them. With extensive legal knowledge in our capital markets and structured finance practice and across industries such as oil, fashion and home apparel, retail, luxury goods, technology, and media and entertainment, we are prepared to hit the ground running.
In 2015, we expanded our Venture Technology and Emerging Growth Companies startup practice with the establishment of our SoHo Startup and Venture Tech Centre, with lawyers and professionals focused on supporting technology startups, venture-backed businesses and small to-mid-cap emerging growth companies.
Dentons’ global presence and local expertise help our clients fulfill their business objectives anywhere around the world. Our integrated New York legal team gives you a competitive edge, wherever your business takes you.
- Columbia University: Advising on numerous patent matters related to biotech, robotics, diagnostics, and virus protection software, as well as open source issues.
- EMI Group Ltd: Acting as US local counsel in connection with the sale of its worldwide music publishing operations to a consortium including Sony/ATV Music Publishing and the sale of its worldwide recorded music operations to Universal Music Group. The deal saw us advising, among other things, on the complex task of documenting numerous corporate transactions in order to separate the music publishing operations and recorded music operations from one another to make the successful separated sale possible.
- Federal-Mogul: Representing the Official Creditors’ Committee in these US Chapter 11 cases. Federal-Mogul is one of the largest auto parts and systems manufacturers and distributors in the world, with operations throughout the US and Europe. A total of 157 companies filed for Chapter 11, and 134 of those companies also commenced insolvency proceedings in the UK with more than US$2 billion in debt. Our skill was called upon in restructuring the company’s business operations and deleveraging its balance sheet. Throughout these proceedings, we successfully represented the Federal-Mogul committee in negotiations with and actions against the debtors, the asbestos claimants, the pre-petition secured lenders and the UK administrators in the UK insolvency proceedings. We successfully sought and won the termination of the debtors’ exclusive period to file a plan of reorganization in the US, which allowed the Creditors’ Committee to propose its own plan of reorganization based on the settlements reached with the other creditor constituencies. The UK counsel from one of our predecessor firms represented the UK administrator in the administration.
- Gávea Funds: Representing a Brazilian fund manager with US$7 billion in assets under management, for more than nine years. Most recently, Dentons was the lead advisor to this client on a sale of a controlling interest to a money center bank. We continue to represent the management company and its principal on US tax issues.
- Genworth Financial: Lead counsel defending in a federal securities fraud action in the US District Court for the Eastern District of New York. The plaintiffs sued on behalf of a putative nationwide class of investment clients of Genworth’s Private Client Group, alleging that Genworth Financial Wealth Management misrepresented material facts to them regarding its mutual fund portfolios and their asset allocation strategies, and challenging revenue-sharing arrangements through administrative service fees. The lawsuit claims violations of Section 10(b) of the Securities Act and Rule 10b-5. Plaintiffs' claims of breach of fiduciary duty have been dismissed by the court.
- GlaxoSmithKline (GSK): Represented GlaxoSmithKline plc in qui tam whistleblower litigation, alleging violations of the US False Claims Act in connection with the drug Paxil, and seeking billions of dollars in damages. Our team convinced the court, at an early stage in the litigation, to dismiss the whistleblower's case in its entirety with prejudice and without an opportunity to amend. Our team convinced not only the court, but also the US Department of Justice, to support our position in seeking dismissal.
- Globally systemically important financial institution: Representing in connection with an analysis and comment letter on notices of proposed rulemakings issued jointly by the Federal Reserve, the Office of Comptroller of the Currency and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation related to the enhanced capital requirements of Title I of Dodd Frank. Our detailed analysis addressed various aspects of the Basel III capital requirements, minimum regulatory capital ratios, the Standardized Approach for risk-weighted assets, market discipline and disclosure requirements rules, and the Advanced Approaches risk-based capital rule, and market risk rule. We also assisted the client in analyzing and providing comments to a leading trade association on its comment letter covering the joint notices of rulemaking, and participating in related discussions with the regulatory agencies.
- The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of American and St. Nicholas Church: Representing in their negotiations with The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to relocate St. Nicholas Church onto a portion of the World Trade Center (WTC) site adjacent to Liberty Park, as part of the overall WTC redevelopment. The original St. Nicholas Church had been destroyed in the events of September 11, 2001.
- Anti-corruption: Representing major global engineering firm in connection with an investigation by the World Bank Integrity Vice Presidency into alleged corrupt and fraudulent practices by a foreign subsidiary involved in a bank-funded project.
- Keybank: Advising on a $60 million Build America Bond transaction for the Navajo Nation, the first large scale loan to be governed solely by tribal law and tribal courts. This transaction was awarded the "Deal of the Year" award in 2011 by the Native American Finance Officers Association.
- Lehman Bankhaus German (affiliate of Lehman Brothers Holdings, Inc.): Representing in its complex claims against, and transactions with, other Lehman entities. We also represent numerous other clients in a wide variety of matters worldwide arising out of the Lehman collapse, including hedge funds and other financial institutions in connection with the administration of the English Lehman companies. This is especially true in relation to prime brokerage issues and International Swaps and Derivatives Association close-out positions.
- Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation (PBGC): Serving as outside counsel in connection with pension plan claims and potential termination of related pension plans. The PBGC is the US government corporation charged with the supervision of pension plans, subject to the Employee Retirement Income Security Act, in connection with certain bankruptcy matters. The most recent of these matters involved representing the PBGC as a party in interest and as a Creditors’ Committee member in the AMR Corporation and Kodak Chapter 11 cases. Both cases include potential claims well in excess of US$10 billion and complex pension bankruptcy. We also served as PBGC counsel in the landmark bankruptcy of Chrysler Corporation.
- A specialty finance company focused on the US residential mortgage market: Advising in the filing of a shelf registration statement for the securitization of residential mortgage loans. This is among the first shelf registration statements to be filed by a new issuer with the SEC in over five years. Following an SEC review and effectiveness, it is anticipated that the shelf will be one of only two active issuers of public securitizations of pools of residential mortgage loans. The client intends to be one of the first “re-entrants” into the public nonagency residential mortgage-backed securites (RMBS) market in the near future.
- Tropicana Entertainment: Representing the largest secured creditor and, through a debt-equity swap in a plan of reorganization, the largest shareholder in the restructuring of Tropicana Entertainment and its affiliates, which operate nine casinos and one of the largest privately-held hotel and casino gaming businesses in the United States. The debtors had prepetition debt, including a $1.3 billion senior secured credit facility, $1 billion in unsecured notes and trade debt, all of which was satisfied or eliminated in the restructuring. The representation also included the acquisition of the Tropicana-Atlantic City hotel and casino, previously subject to conservatorship, through a credit bid at a sale under Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code in a separate bankruptcy proceeding, and the reconsolidation of that casino into the corporate group.
- United Airlines, Inc. (UAL): Representing the Official Creditors’ Committee in these Chapter 11 cases that resulted in a successful plan of reorganization and an enhanced platform to facilitate the merger with Continental, which resulted in creating the largest airline in the world. The Creditors’ Committee played a material role in maximizing the value of the estates, and the recovery to unsecured creditors by, amongst other things, garnering the waivers of hundreds of millions of dollars in administrative and other claims, refining and improving settlements, and spearheading a motion against a United Express provider in an effort to return tens of millions of dollars to the debtors’ estates. Upon emergence, the stock of reorganized UAL was listed on the Nasdaq, traded robustly at prices much higher than initially projected and now trades on the New York Stock Exchange.
- US Department of Treasury: Representing in the US$19.7 billion multidraw term-loan facility provided to General Motors Corporation under the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP), which was supported by warrants, additional promissory notes, and payment and performance guarantees by many of its domestic subsidiaries, and secured by first and junior liens on all available assets, including equity pledges of its domestic and foreign subsidiaries.
- Velocity Technology Solutions: Representing a leading cloud-based application hosting company and its private equity fund owners Spire Capital and Tudor Investments, in connection with the merger of Velocity and a subsidiary of Silver Lake Sumeru Fund, LP, a global leader in middle-market technology investing. The transaction is valued at US$220 million.
November 7, 2014
October 21, 2014
U.S. News – Best Lawyers 2015 guide has named Dentons "Law Firm of the Year" in the area of Native American Law. The firm also received a national tier one ranking as well as tier one regional rankings in New York and Washington, D.C. This significant achievement is attributed to the breadth, depth and legal insight of the practice. Only one law firm per legal practice area receives such recognition. Read more
June 10, 2013
The New York office was recognized by Law360 in its "Best Law Firm Offices in New York 2014" series for its welcoming and collaborative atmosphere and focus on client service. The profile, titled "Inside Dentons' New York Office," celebrates the sophisticated, cosmopolitan highpoints of the Firm's Avenue of the Americas location and spotlights some of the lawyers who are resident in New York. Read more
The 2013 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business recognizes 32 Dentons practices and 82 lawyers. Recognition for the Firm includes "excellent at representing their clients;" "top-notch firm, very good results with them;" and "always prepared, always accessible, and never fail to deliver." Read more
View all recognition for New York
November 20, 2014
Welcome to the second issue of
the Dentons Private Equity Fund
Manager’s Report. It is our intention
to periodically provide our friends,
clients and others interested in the
world of private equity with practical
information that can be used by
fund managers in the course of their
business activities. Read more
October 23, 2014
The global Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy group will host a program and cocktail reception entitled, "Global Investment Opportunities from a Global Law Firm," on Thursday, November 20, 2014 at Dentons Canada LLP Toronto. The program will cover topics pertaining to trends and opportunities in distressed real estate. Read more
The Dodd-Frank Act's required credit risk retention rules were finalized and adopted by US regulators this week. Under intense discussion and debate for over two years, these rules will have a significant impact on a wide variety of financial institutions and loan products, including participants in the student loan finance industry.
To alert the student loan financing industry, Dentons' Capital Markets practice has distilled the adopting release and the portions of the final rule regarding credit risk retention as it specifically impacts student loan securitizations. Essentially, the specific rules related to student loans are unchanged from the previous rule proposed by the federal agencies charged with formulating risk retention rules under the Dodd-Frank Act.
Read on for a detailed analysis and relevant excerpts of the final risk retention rule. Read more
View all insights for New York
News and Events
New York, NYApril 22, 2015
New York, NYApril 22, 2015
Our inaugural Gotham Insurance Symposium will feature a slate of speakers discussing current insurance industry issues and developments. Read more
New York, NYApril 23, 2015
Dentons' New York office in Rockefeller Center will host a series of interactive programs focused on intellectual property issues specifically relevant to the fashion and beauty industries. Read more
Dentons, Silicon Valley Bank and Deloitte will host an exclusive annual Spring VC Luncheon at the world-renowned Eleven Madison Park. Read more
View all events for New York
Recent Press Releases
April 7, 2015
March 12, 2015
Dentons US LLP announced today the elevation of 11 new partners and the appointment of three counsel in its US offices. Read more
February 20, 2015
Eight Dentons partners in key practice areas have been named to Law360's advisory editorial boards in 2015. In confirmation of Dentons' increasing influence in the legal marketplace, twice as many partners were appointed this year as last. Read more
Dentons represented Hilton Worldwide in a series of transactions related to the Waldorf Astoria New York and the acquisition of five landmark hotel properties with the proceeds. Read more
View all press releases for New York