Richard Gauthier practices tax law from Dentons Canada LLP’s Montreal office. His practice focuses on corporate, personal and estate tax planning.
Richard represents clients on their corporate reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions, private and public financings, and use of corporate losses. Richard specializes in offshore financing, estate planning, pre-sale tax planning, pre-acquisition tax planning, succession planning and public-private partnership structuring.
- Castonguay Blasting Ltd.: Advising on the acquisition, from Dyno Nobel Canada, of DNX Castonguay, a drilling and blasting business of Sherbrooke founded in 1971.
- Groupe Stavibel: Representing the selling shareholders in the acquisition of this multidisciplinary consulting engineering firm based in Abitibi-Témiscamingue, Quebec by SNC-Lavalin, one of the leading engineering and construction groups in the world.
- Orbit–Garant Drilling Inc.: Counsel to Orbit Drilling inc. regarding the merger with Garant Brothers Drilling Inc. followed by an IPO of Orbit–Garant Drilling Inc.
- Consolidated Thompson Iron Mines Limited: Advising with respect to its CA$4.9 billion acquisition by Cliffs Natural Resources Inc.
- Boralex Inc.: Advising on its CA$226.5 million successful take-over bid for Boralex Power Income Fund.
- Boralex Inc.: Advising on its bought-deal offering of CA$109.25 million aggregate principal amount of convertible debentures, including an initial CA$95 million offering and an additional CA$14.25 million offering pursuant to the exercise of an over-allotment option.
- Tembec Inc.: Acting as Canadian co-counsel in connection with its US$255 million offering of 11.25% notes of its wholly owned subsidiary, Tembec Industries Inc.
- Boralex Inc.: Acting as Canadian tax co-counsel in connection with a take-over bid circular to the unitholders of Boralex Power Income Funds.
- Boralex Inc.: Acting as Canadian co-counsel in connection with its CA$95 million offering of 6.75% notes.
- Forage à Diamant Benoît Ltd.: Advising in connection with its CA$21 million acquisition by Major Drilling Group International Inc.
- Rôtisseries St–Hubert Inc.: Acting as tax counsel in the field of restaurant franchising, food distribution and product licensing.
- MBI Drilling Products Inc.: Counsel to MBI in a CA$27 million sale of shares to Fonds de solidarité FTQ Inc.
Activities and Affiliations
- Member, Chambre des notaires du Québec
- Member, Fiscal and Financial Planning Association
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners