Richard Gauthier is a partner at our Montréal office and specializes in the fields of corporate, personal and estate tax planning. Prior to joining Dentons Canada LLP in 2000, he worked for nine years in the tax department of one of the big four chartered accounting firms. Richard was recently involved in public financing and merger and acquisition files.
Richard has expertise in the following fields: corporate reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions, estate planning, private and public financing, and use of corporate losses.
Richard was recently involved in the establishment of tax structures for the executive director for the modernization projects of Montréal's University Health Centres as well as for the Agence des partenariats public-privé du Québec.
- Acting for a group of investors who acquired, from Dyno Nobel Canada, DNX Castonguay, a drilling and blasting business of Sherbrooke founded in 1971
- Represented the selling shareholders in the acquistion of Groupe Stavibel, a multidisciplinary consulting engineering firm based in Abitibi-Témiscamingue, Quebec, by SNC-Lavalin, one of the leading engineering and construction groups in the world
- Counsel to Consolidated Thompson Iron Mines Limited with respect to its $4.9 billion acquisition by Cliffs Natural Resources Inc.
- Counsel to Boralex Inc. on its $226.5 million successful take-over bid for Boralex Power Income Fund
- Counsel to Boralex Inc. on its bought-deal offering of $109.25 million aggregate principal amount of convertible debentures, including an initial $95 million offering and an additional $14.25 million offering pursuant to the exercise of an over-allotment option
- Canadian co-counsel to Tembec Inc. in connection with its US$255 million offering of 11.25% notes of its wholly owned subsidiary, Tembec Industries Inc.
- Canadian tax co-counsel to Boralex Inc. in connection with a take-over bid circular to the unitholders of Boralex Power Income Funds
- Canadian co-counsel to Boralex Inc. in connection with its $95 million offering of 6.75% notes
- Counsel to Forage à Diamant Benoît Ltée in connection with its $21 million acquisition by Major Drilling Group International Inc.
- Tax counsel to a major Canadian private business in the field of restaurant franchising, food distribution and product licensing
- Offshore financing
- Estate freezing
- Pre-sale tax planning
- Pre-acquisition tax planning
- Succession planning
- Public-private partnerships structuring
Activities and Affiliations
- Member of the Chambre des notaires du Québec
- Member of the Fiscal and Financial Planning Association
- Member of the Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member of the Association de recherche industrielle du Québec (ADRIQ)
- Member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners