Vivek represents clients in the energy, natural resources and infrastructure sector. He specializes in the structuring, negotiation and documentation of natural resource projects and related financings and in domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions in the oil, gas, water and power sectors.
Vivek previously practised at a leading English law firm in its London and Tokyo offices and has considerable international experience in Europe, the Middle East, Southeast Asia and the Far East.
Vivek has considerable experience in regulated electricity markets and has acted for numerous clients in the development, operation and acquisition of independent power projects, including those involving renewable energy sources.
Vivek has acted for sponsors, developers, offtakers and service providers in a range of natural resource projects. In the oil and gas sector, Vivek has led transactions involving on and offshore petroleum development and has many years of experience in each link in the LNG value chain, having acted for developers of liquefaction facilities, LNG buyers and sellers and in connection with regasification terminal capacity rights.
Vivek has acted for:
- National Bank of Canada: Counsel to the Administrative Agent and the Lenders providing credit facilities in the aggregate amount of CA$215 million for the development, construction and commissioning of 4 solar projects in Ontario totaling 38.5 MW. The financing is also to be used in connection with the subsequent acquisition of the solar projects by BluEarth Renewables Inc. from CSI Solar Project 16 Inc.
- Royal Bank of Canada (RBC), as Agent to the lenders, in connection with the CAN$420 million refinancing for St. Clair Energy Centre, a 584 MW combined cycle, natural gas-fired energy generation facility in Ontario, Canada. The refinancing included long term interest rate swap contracts with RBC, Union Bank, Natixis, Bayern LB, and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation as the swap providers
- RES Canada Transmission LP on its application for designation in the Ontario Energy Board’s East-West Tie Procurement;
- Capital Power Income L.P. on its $1.1 billion acquisition by Atlantic Power Corporation;
- several developers of renewable energy projects under Ontario’s Feed-In-Tariff Program;
- a major integrated energy company with respect to the structuring and negotiation of arrangements put in place as a result of the Renewable Fuels Regulations SOR/2010-189;
- Andean Resources Limited with respect to its acquisition by Goldcorp Inc. for $3.6 billion;
- the owner on the structuring of a proposed district energy system development in Canada;
- a strategic investor on the acquisition of four wind farms in Southern Ontario;
- a significant Canadian utility on the hive down and subsequent IPO of its power business on the Toronto Stock Exchange;
- the owner of a combined heat and power facility on the renegotiation of its gas supply, power and steam purchase agreements and on route-to-market arrangements for the trade of power;
- the management shareholders of Pareto Corporation with respect to its acquisition by private equity firm The Riverside Company for $125 million by way of plan of arrangement;
- a European subsidiary of a significant US utility on various matters in the power sector, including on the development of an offshore wind farm and its short term electricity trading portfolio;
- a major European utility on the acquisition of a Dutch gas business and its subsequent integration into its portfolio;
- a major Japanese trading house on the acquisition, through an off-market purchase, of an equity interest in a major listed South East Asian oil and gas company and separately, on the disposal of interests in two offshore Indonesian oilfields;
- a major Asian national oil and gas company on the development of an onshore oil field in the Middle East;
- a major Japanese trading house on the development of an LNG liquefaction facility in South East Asia and separately on the acquisition of an interest in an LNG liquefaction facility in the Middle East;
- a major LNG trader and developer on sales and purchases of LNG on a short and long-term basis and on LNG tanker charterparty arrangements.
- Consistently recommended by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2015) in the area of Energy (Oil & Gas)
- Recognized by Who’s Who Legal as a leading lawyer in the area of Energy (2013–2015)
- Recognized by Who’s Who Legal Canada as a leading lawyer in the area of Energy (2013–2015)
- Contributing Editor and Author, “A Practitioner’s Guide to Shale Gas and Other Unconventional Resources,” 2012 Globe Business Publishing Ltd., London
- "Ontario Feed-In-Tariff 2.0 Released", Focus on Energy, March 2012
- Co-Author, “Shale Gas for LNG” chapter of Liquefied Natural Gas: The Law and Business of LNG, Second Edition, 2012 Globe Business Publishing Ltd., London