Businesses around the globe value intellectual property and technology services. These services allow maximum efficiency for companies, providing their customers with their own unique services. In perpetual motion, players must create innovative products and services to feed constant and escalating market demand. Everyone from the developer to the user has an enormous amount invested in products. In this high-stakes environment, you need protection for your original work. This requires a partner with extensive knowledge of different solutions who can choose the best legal remedy.
Dentons’ lawyers understand these requirements and work relentlessly to protect your investment, whether it’s a new medical device, company logo or computer software program. Together, we address complex legal questions with advice tailored to your business needs. From protecting intellectual property rights, through advising on data security issues, technology licensing and sourcing strategies, you receive practical and informed guidance.
Our integrated approach to litigation, counseling and transactions is a powerful strategy that delivers optimal results to you. To provide you with seamless service, members of our Intellectual Property and Technology (IP&T) practice frequently team with lawyers from other practice areas. Our enviable track record includes representing individual inventors, artists and entrepreneurs, public institutions, emerging companies, venture capital groups and global corporations.
Protecting your work to the highest caliber drives our efforts to learn about and promote the latest developments in the intellectual property arena. Our IP&T professionals lecture, teach and publish on intellectual property subjects. Additionally, we participate in committees of related organizations.
More About Intellectual Property and Technology
- Canadian purchaser: Advising on 405 linocuts by Pablo Picasso worth $20 million and the charitable donation of this highly significant art to an art gallery in Saskatchewan. Our advice covers issues relating to the purchase, export of the art from England and importation of the art into Canada, donation, transportation, insurance and taxation of this noteworthy donation, the largest in the province's history.
- Converse Inc.: Advising on highly complex trademark litigation regarding the distribution of counterfeit Converse Chuck Taylor All Star shoes by a major retail chain resulting in a landmark decision by the German Federal Court of Justice; the ruling stated that the defendant must prove that the products sold are authentic and that the trademark owner must only substantiate that the products are counterfeit. Given that there is an exception if the defendant can prove that the trademark holder employs an exclusive distribution system, this ruling has shifted the future focus of trademark infringement cases to the ”struggle for reversing the burden of proof”.
- Global entertainment company: Advising in regards to intellectual property enforcement and litigation in Canada with respect to trade-mark and copyright infringement, counterfeit goods, domain name disputes and brand dilution.
- Leading multinational high-tech company: Representing company in a major ongoing patent litigation in France (on the merits and preliminary injunction) regarding the continuity of the sale of some of its products in France.
- Major multinational online music service provider: Advising on the copyright clearances required to launch in Canada. Our assistance helped lay the groundwork for the continued worldwide expansion of this popular, cutting-edge music service.
- Monsanto Company: Serving as outside patent counsel to the global agricultural biotechnology company, processing a substantial portion of their patents and managing patent portfolios worldwide.
- Several luxury brand owners: Advising in obtaining the seizure, delivery up and destruction of counterfeit luxury goods together with interim and permanent injunctions to prevent the continued distribution of the branded goods.
- Steam distribution and sand control company: Advising for enhanced recovery solutions in the oil and gas industry leading to the successful defense of an action involving claims of patent infringement and invalidity in respect of slotted liner technology.
- Vkontakte: Advising one of the largest Eastern European social network on almost all legal aspects of the company’s activities in Russia. For years our team has handled a large number of high-profile litigation cases for the client regarding the network’s liability for illegal audio and video content uploaded by users. Some court decisions for these cases set precedents in Russia and have been actively discussed in mass media sources. Our work demonstrated our ability to handle highly complex litigations to the benefit of our clients. In addition to a series of litigation mandates, our team has recently advised the client on data protection issues, corporate, employment, and general commercial issues. We have also achieved a recognition of the VKontakte logo as a well-known trademark in the Russian Federation.
- Yahoo!: Representing the online service giant in a variety of transactions involving content, data feeds and technology licensing. We also work with the company on various Internet issues including online privacy, publishing issues, contracting and pending legislation.
Intellectual Property and TechnologySeptember 2013
In BTI Consulting Group's latest report, BTI Litigation Outlook 2014, clients ranked Dentons in the top 10 percent of all law firms for intellectual property litigation. This year's report, based on 300 one-on-one interviews with corporate counsel, including litigation heads and general counsel, was conducted between March and June of 2013. Read moreUnited StatesJune 10, 2013
Media and EntertainmentJanuary 17, 2012
The 2013 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business recognizes 32 Dentons practices and 82 lawyers. Recognition for the Firm includes "excellent at representing their clients;" "top-notch firm, very good results with them;" and "always prepared, always accessible, and never fail to deliver." Read more
Todd Daubert, partner in SNR Denton's Telecommunications, Media and Technology sector, speaks with Rob Woodbridge of UNTETHER.tv at MEF Americas 2011: Mobile Content & Commerce. Read more
View all recognition for Intellectual Property and Technology
Intellectual Property and TechnologyDecember 5, 2013
Despite the legal regulation of personal data collection and processing having become a global hot topic in recent times, Kazakhstan has not yet developed a culture of respect for personal data. Read moreWarsawOctober 30, 2013
Dentons in Poland: 2012 Activity Report provides insight into our activities during the year. The items in the report illustrate our commitment to top quality service and describe how we navigated legal and business complexities to help our clients achieve their goals. Read moreIntellectual Property and TechnologyOctober 8, 2013
On August 1, 2013, Federal Law No. 187-FZ on Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of the Russian Federation Concerning the Protection of Intellectual Rights in Information-Telecommunications Networks of July 2, 2013 (the Law) entered into force amid great public interest. The Law, which the State Duma adopted with considerable haste, is intended to combat the distribution of pirated video content. Read more
View all insights for Intellectual Property and Technology
News and Events
Los AngelesBeverly Hills, CAJanuary 7, 2014
We are once again pleased to offer a full day of California MCLE-approved classes just in time to meet the California MCLE compliance period deadline of January 31, 2014. Read moreSan FranciscoSan Francisco, CAJanuary 8, 2014
We are once again pleased to offer a full day of California MCLE-approved classes just in time to meet the California MCLE compliance period deadline of January 31, 2014. Read moreMergers and AcquisitionsCalgary, CanadaJanuary 29-30, 2013
Join Dentons partners', George Antonopoulos, Bill Gilliland and Mike Hurst, at Insights's 2014 Advanced Edition - Major Business Agreements conference in Calgary, AB, January 29-30, 2013. Read more
Recent Press Releases
RussiaNovember 21, 2013
Alex Stolarsky, German Attorney-at-Law from Beiten Burkhardt’s Moscow office, has joined Dentons’ German Practice in Russia. Read moreIntellectual Property and TechnologyNovember 15, 2013
Friday 15th November, Paris IPT&C Partner Isabelle Leroux is to give a presentation entitled “How Round is Your Circle? Protecting Product Shapes in Europe: Trademarks, Designs and Copyrights” at the 2013 INTA Leadership Meeting held in Miami Beach, Florida. Read moreAs diverse as you areNovember 4, 2013
The publication acknowledged partners Peg Donahue Hall, Monica Richman and Natalie Spears for their exceptional work as leading US intellectual property lawyers. Read more
View all press releases for Intellectual Property and Technology