Businesses around the globe value intellectual property and technology services. These services allow maximum efficiency for companies, providing their customers with their own unique services. In perpetual motion, players must create innovative products and services to feed constant and escalating market demand. Everyone from the developer to the user has an enormous amount invested in products. In this high-stakes environment, you need protection for your original work. This requires a partner with extensive knowledge of different solutions who can choose the best legal remedy.
Dentons’ lawyers understand these requirements and work relentlessly to protect your investment, whether it’s a new medical device, company logo or computer software program. Together, we address complex legal questions with advice tailored to your business needs. From protecting intellectual property rights, through advising on data security issues, technology licensing and sourcing strategies, you receive practical and informed guidance.
Our integrated approach to litigation, counseling and transactions is a powerful strategy that delivers optimal results to you. To provide you with seamless service, members of our Intellectual Property and Technology (IP&T) practice frequently team with lawyers from other practice areas. Our enviable track record includes representing individual inventors, artists and entrepreneurs, public institutions, emerging companies, venture capital groups and global corporations.
Protecting your work to the highest caliber drives our efforts to learn about and promote the latest developments in the intellectual property arena. Our IP&T professionals lecture, teach and publish on intellectual property subjects. Additionally, we participate in committees of related organizations.
More About Intellectual Property and Technology
- Canadian purchaser: Advising on 405 linocuts by Pablo Picasso worth $20 million and the charitable donation of this highly significant art to an art gallery in Saskatchewan. Our advice covers issues relating to the purchase, export of the art from England and importation of the art into Canada, donation, transportation, insurance and taxation of this noteworthy donation, the largest in the province's history.
- Converse Inc.: Advising on highly complex trademark litigation regarding the distribution of counterfeit Converse Chuck Taylor All Star shoes by a major retail chain resulting in a landmark decision by the German Federal Court of Justice; the ruling stated that the defendant must prove that the products sold are authentic and that the trademark owner must only substantiate that the products are counterfeit. Given that there is an exception if the defendant can prove that the trademark holder employs an exclusive distribution system, this ruling has shifted the future focus of trademark infringement cases to the ”struggle for reversing the burden of proof”.
- Global entertainment company: Advising in regards to intellectual property enforcement and litigation in Canada with respect to trade-mark and copyright infringement, counterfeit goods, domain name disputes and brand dilution.
- Leading multinational high-tech company: Representing company in a major ongoing patent litigation in France (on the merits and preliminary injunction) regarding the continuity of the sale of some of its products in France.
- Major multinational online music service provider: Advising on the copyright clearances required to launch in Canada. Our assistance helped lay the groundwork for the continued worldwide expansion of this popular, cutting-edge music service.
- Monsanto Company: Serving as outside patent counsel to the global agricultural biotechnology company, processing a substantial portion of their patents and managing patent portfolios worldwide.
- Several luxury brand owners: Advising in obtaining the seizure, delivery up and destruction of counterfeit luxury goods together with interim and permanent injunctions to prevent the continued distribution of the branded goods.
- Steam distribution and sand control company: Advising for enhanced recovery solutions in the oil and gas industry leading to the successful defense of an action involving claims of patent infringement and invalidity in respect of slotted liner technology.
- Vkontakte: Advising one of the largest Eastern European social network on almost all legal aspects of the company’s activities in Russia. For years our team has handled a large number of high-profile litigation cases for the client regarding the network’s liability for illegal audio and video content uploaded by users. Some court decisions for these cases set precedents in Russia and have been actively discussed in mass media sources. Our work demonstrated our ability to handle highly complex litigations to the benefit of our clients. In addition to a series of litigation mandates, our team has recently advised the client on data protection issues, corporate, employment, and general commercial issues. We have also achieved a recognition of the VKontakte logo as a well-known trademark in the Russian Federation.
- Yahoo!: Representing the online service giant in a variety of transactions involving content, data feeds and technology licensing. We also work with the company on various Internet issues including online privacy, publishing issues, contracting and pending legislation.
April 6, 2015
March 26, 2015
Nine of our women lawyers were highlighted across multiple categories in the "Leading Women Lawyers" edition of Leading Lawyer Magazine, a monthly publication that highlights top legal practitioners in Illinois. Read more
December 1, 2014
Dentons was listed as a Top Patent Firm and was ranked 36 out of 271 firms in an annual patent survey conducted by Intellectual Property Today, a legal trade publication covering patent, trademark and copyright issues. Read more
Ten Firm practices were included among Law360's lists of the Top 100 largest global practices, with five earning top-five rankings. The Real Estate, M&A and Insurance practices were each ranked fourth in their respective categories, while the Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy practice and the Environmental and Natural Resources practice were ranked fifth in the Bankruptcy category and the Environmental category, respectively. Firm practices also earned spots among the top 25 in the Securities and White Collar, Competition, Employment, IP and Product Liability categories. Read more
View all recognition for Intellectual Property and Technology
April 30, 2015
April 24, 2015
UAE Cabinet Decision No. 9 of 2015 (the Decision) has doubled the official fees for registering trademarks with the Ministry of Economy's trademark office (TMO) in the UAE. The Decision, which takes effect from 29 May 2015, marks a huge increase in the trademark official fees, which were already considered one of the highest in the world. Read more
March 31, 2015
Recently the State has been taking significant steps to attract foreign investment into the country, including through changes in the legislation. Read more
In its short history, Bitcoin has generated a huge amount of commentary and has polarised views. Some see it as a game-changing, revolutionary form of currency. Others find it hard to see beyond its undoubted immediate problems, in particular its volatile value and its lack of regulation and transparency. Whatever your views, virtual currencies like Bitcoin are unlikely to go away: banks and financial institutions need to understand them, and take them seriously. As more individuals hold virtual currency and more businesses accept them as a form of payment, one question customers are more likely to ask financiers is, "Will you accept Bitcoin (or another virtual currency) as a form of collateral?" Read more
View all insights for Intellectual Property and Technology
News and Events
Recent Press Releases
April 8, 2015
April 5, 2015
A merger of Dentons US LLP (“Dentons US”) and McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP (“McKenna Long”) has been approved by the partners of both firms. The news builds on the momentum of the previously announced combination between Dentons and 大成, creating the world's largest law firm. Clients inside the US will gain unrivaled access to markets around the world, and international clients will enjoy increased strength and reach across the US. Read more
March 31, 2015
Isabelle Leroux, partner in Dentons Intellectual Property and Technology group (IP&T), will now divide her time between Paris and Dubai offices.
Dentons today announces the promotion of nine lawyers to Partner and 14 to counsel across its offices in Europe. The promotions are effective from 1 January, 2015. The number of female partners account for 67% of the promotions this year which included a range of practice areas across Poland, France, Germany, Prague and Bratislava. Read more
View all press releases for Intellectual Property and Technology