Businesses around the globe value intellectual property and technology services. These services allow maximum efficiency for companies, providing their customers with their own unique services. In perpetual motion, players must create innovative products and services to feed constant and escalating market demand. Everyone from the developer to the user has an enormous amount invested in products. In this high-stakes environment, you need protection for your original work. This requires a partner with extensive knowledge of different solutions who can choose the best legal remedy.
Dentons’ lawyers understand these requirements and work relentlessly to protect your investment, whether it’s a new medical device, company logo or computer software program. Together, we address complex legal questions with advice tailored to your business needs. From protecting intellectual property rights, through advising on data security issues, technology licensing and sourcing strategies, you receive practical and informed guidance.
Our integrated approach to litigation, counseling and transactions is a powerful strategy that delivers optimal results to you. To provide you with seamless service, members of our Intellectual Property and Technology (IP&T) practice frequently team with lawyers from other practice areas. Our enviable track record includes representing individual inventors, artists and entrepreneurs, public institutions, emerging companies, venture capital groups and global corporations.
Protecting your work to the highest caliber drives our efforts to learn about and promote the latest developments in the intellectual property arena. Our IP&T professionals lecture, teach and publish on intellectual property subjects. Additionally, we participate in committees of related organizations.
More About Intellectual Property and Technology
- Canadian purchaser: Advising on 405 linocuts by Pablo Picasso worth $20 million and the charitable donation of this highly significant art to an art gallery in Saskatchewan. Our advice covers issues relating to the purchase, export of the art from England and importation of the art into Canada, donation, transportation, insurance and taxation of this noteworthy donation, the largest in the province's history.
- Converse Inc.: Advising on highly complex trademark litigation regarding the distribution of counterfeit Converse Chuck Taylor All Star shoes by a major retail chain resulting in a landmark decision by the German Federal Court of Justice; the ruling stated that the defendant must prove that the products sold are authentic and that the trademark owner must only substantiate that the products are counterfeit. Given that there is an exception if the defendant can prove that the trademark holder employs an exclusive distribution system, this ruling has shifted the future focus of trademark infringement cases to the ”struggle for reversing the burden of proof”.
- Global entertainment company: Advising in regards to intellectual property enforcement and litigation in Canada with respect to trade-mark and copyright infringement, counterfeit goods, domain name disputes and brand dilution.
- Leading multinational high-tech company: Representing company in a major ongoing patent litigation in France (on the merits and preliminary injunction) regarding the continuity of the sale of some of its products in France.
- Major multinational online music service provider: Advising on the copyright clearances required to launch in Canada. Our assistance helped lay the groundwork for the continued worldwide expansion of this popular, cutting-edge music service.
- Monsanto Company: Serving as outside patent counsel to the global agricultural biotechnology company, processing a substantial portion of their patents and managing patent portfolios worldwide.
- Several luxury brand owners: Advising in obtaining the seizure, delivery up and destruction of counterfeit luxury goods together with interim and permanent injunctions to prevent the continued distribution of the branded goods.
- Steam distribution and sand control company: Advising for enhanced recovery solutions in the oil and gas industry leading to the successful defense of an action involving claims of patent infringement and invalidity in respect of slotted liner technology.
- Vkontakte: Advising one of the largest Eastern European social network on almost all legal aspects of the company’s activities in Russia. For years our team has handled a large number of high-profile litigation cases for the client regarding the network’s liability for illegal audio and video content uploaded by users. Some court decisions for these cases set precedents in Russia and have been actively discussed in mass media sources. Our work demonstrated our ability to handle highly complex litigations to the benefit of our clients. In addition to a series of litigation mandates, our team has recently advised the client on data protection issues, corporate, employment, and general commercial issues. We have also achieved a recognition of the VKontakte logo as a well-known trademark in the Russian Federation.
- Yahoo!: Representing the online service giant in a variety of transactions involving content, data feeds and technology licensing. We also work with the company on various Internet issues including online privacy, publishing issues, contracting and pending legislation.
Intellectual Property and TechnologyFebruary 18, 2014
Three Dentons IPT&C teams and seven lawyers individually have been distinguished by WTR 2014. Read moreIntellectual Property and TechnologySeptember 2013
In BTI Consulting Group's latest report, BTI Litigation Outlook 2014, clients ranked Dentons in the top 10 percent of all law firms for intellectual property litigation. This year's report, based on 300 one-on-one interviews with corporate counsel, including litigation heads and general counsel, was conducted between March and June of 2013. Read moreUnited StatesJune 10, 2013
The 2013 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business recognizes 32 Dentons practices and 82 lawyers. Recognition for the Firm includes "excellent at representing their clients;" "top-notch firm, very good results with them;" and "always prepared, always accessible, and never fail to deliver." Read more
View all recognition for Intellectual Property and Technology
News and Events
Intellectual Property and TechnologySanta Clara, April 29, 2014
During the months of April and May, the US Patent Trial and Appeal Board is hosting a series of half-day roundtables across the country to educate the public about the America Invents Act trials (i.e., inter partes review and covered business method review) and to collect public input about the trial proceedings. Read more
Recent Press Releases
Intellectual Property and TechnologyApril 24, 2014
Managing Intellectual Property has named nine Intellectual Property and Technology (IP&T) Dentons partners from offices around the country in the second edition of its annual “IP Stars” guide, a definitive resource on the leading IP expertise in the United States. The selected Dentons partners are designated as individual “IP Stars” in recognition of their specific experience in a variety of sectors and depth of knowledge in complex IP matters. Read moreGermanyApril 15, 2014
The global law firm Dentons has advised the Görtz Beteiligungsgesellschaft mbH in relation to the investment of AFINUM Management GmbH in Görtz Group. The Görtz Group is the market leader within the premium and quality segment of Germany’s retail footwear. Read moreIntellectual Property and TechnologyApril 4, 2014
Dentons Russia has been awarded Russia IP Firm of the Year at the Managing IP Global Awards ceremony 2014 which took place in the Dorchester Hotel in London. The award has been received by Dentons’ London partner and IP, Technology and Communications practice head Tatiana Kruse and London associate Anna Hebenstreit. Read more
View all press releases for Intellectual Property and Technology