Businesses around the globe value intellectual property and technology services. These services allow maximum efficiency for companies, providing their customers with their own unique services. In perpetual motion, players must create innovative products and services to feed constant and escalating market demand. Everyone from the developer to the user has an enormous amount invested in products. In this high-stakes environment, you need protection for your original work. This requires a partner with extensive knowledge of different solutions who can choose the best legal remedy.
Dentons’ lawyers understand these requirements and work relentlessly to protect your investment, whether it’s a new medical device, company logo or computer software program. Together, we address complex legal questions with advice tailored to your business needs. From protecting intellectual property rights, through advising on data security issues, technology licensing and sourcing strategies, you receive practical and informed guidance.
Our integrated approach to litigation, counseling and transactions is a powerful strategy that delivers optimal results to you. To provide you with seamless service, members of our Intellectual Property and Technology (IP&T) practice frequently team with lawyers from other practice areas. Our enviable track record includes representing individual inventors, artists and entrepreneurs, public institutions, emerging companies, venture capital groups and global corporations.
Protecting your work to the highest caliber drives our efforts to learn about and promote the latest developments in the intellectual property arena. Our IP&T professionals lecture, teach and publish on intellectual property subjects. Additionally, we participate in committees of related organizations.
More About Intellectual Property and Technology
- Canadian purchaser: Advising on 405 linocuts by Pablo Picasso worth $20 million and the charitable donation of this highly significant art to an art gallery in Saskatchewan. Our advice covers issues relating to the purchase, export of the art from England and importation of the art into Canada, donation, transportation, insurance and taxation of this noteworthy donation, the largest in the province's history.
- Converse Inc.: Advising on highly complex trademark litigation regarding the distribution of counterfeit Converse Chuck Taylor All Star shoes by a major retail chain resulting in a landmark decision by the German Federal Court of Justice; the ruling stated that the defendant must prove that the products sold are authentic and that the trademark owner must only substantiate that the products are counterfeit. Given that there is an exception if the defendant can prove that the trademark holder employs an exclusive distribution system, this ruling has shifted the future focus of trademark infringement cases to the ”struggle for reversing the burden of proof”.
- Global entertainment company: Advising in regards to intellectual property enforcement and litigation in Canada with respect to trade-mark and copyright infringement, counterfeit goods, domain name disputes and brand dilution.
- Leading multinational high-tech company: Representing company in a major ongoing patent litigation in France (on the merits and preliminary injunction) regarding the continuity of the sale of some of its products in France.
- Major multinational online music service provider: Advising on the copyright clearances required to launch in Canada. Our assistance helped lay the groundwork for the continued worldwide expansion of this popular, cutting-edge music service.
- Monsanto Company: Serving as outside patent counsel to the global agricultural biotechnology company, processing a substantial portion of their patents and managing patent portfolios worldwide.
- Several luxury brand owners: Advising in obtaining the seizure, delivery up and destruction of counterfeit luxury goods together with interim and permanent injunctions to prevent the continued distribution of the branded goods.
- Steam distribution and sand control company: Advising for enhanced recovery solutions in the oil and gas industry leading to the successful defense of an action involving claims of patent infringement and invalidity in respect of slotted liner technology.
- Vkontakte: Advising one of the largest Eastern European social network on almost all legal aspects of the company’s activities in Russia. For years our team has handled a large number of high-profile litigation cases for the client regarding the network’s liability for illegal audio and video content uploaded by users. Some court decisions for these cases set precedents in Russia and have been actively discussed in mass media sources. Our work demonstrated our ability to handle highly complex litigations to the benefit of our clients. In addition to a series of litigation mandates, our team has recently advised the client on data protection issues, corporate, employment, and general commercial issues. We have also achieved a recognition of the VKontakte logo as a well-known trademark in the Russian Federation.
- Yahoo!: Representing the online service giant in a variety of transactions involving content, data feeds and technology licensing. We also work with the company on various Internet issues including online privacy, publishing issues, contracting and pending legislation.
May 23, 2014
May 7, 2014
The 2014 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business ranks 111 total Dentons practices and lawyers and marks the advancement of key Firm practices and individuals to national Band 1 recognition. Read more
April 29, 2014
Dentons Paris IP partner David Masson has published a five-page article entitled “brevet unitaire: il faut saisir la balle au bond”, (Unitary patents – we must seize the opportunity) in reference legal publication Cahiers de Droit de l’Entreprise. Read more
David Masson, Paris Partner and Head of Dentons Europe IP&T Group, has been named a World Intellectual Property Organization’s (WIPO) neutral for FRAND licensing disputes. Read more
View all recognition for Intellectual Property and Technology
December 18, 2014
December 17, 2014
On December 5, 2014, the US Supreme Court granted a writ of certiorari to review the Federal Circuit’s holding in Commil USA LLC v. Cisco Systems, Inc., 720 F.3d 1361, 1367 (Fed. Cir. 2013) that a defendant's reasonable belief that a patent is invalid is a defense to induced infringement under 35 U.S.C. § 271(b). Commil, 2014 WL 318394 (U.S.). This will be an important decision further defining the types of evidence permissible for defending claims of induced infringement, which are asserted often in patent cases, and can have wide reaching consequences. Read more
November 5, 2014
In September, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office released a report to Congress describing the progress (and underutilization) of virtual patent marking in the three years since it first became available under the America Invents Act. The report was directed to analyzing: (1) the effectiveness of “virtual marking” as an alternative to the physical marking of articles; (2) whether such virtual marking has limited or improved the ability of the general public to access information about patents; (3) the legal issues, if any, that arise from such virtual marking; and (4) the deficiencies, if any, of such virtual marking. Read more
Patents are required to “conclude with one or more claims particularly pointing out and distinctly claiming the subject matter which the applicant regards as [the] invention.” 35 U. S. C. §112. This requirement, known as "definiteness," dates back to the first Patent Act in 1790 and serves an important public notice function ensuring that patents afford clear notice of what is claimed as one's invention. Read more
View all insights for Intellectual Property and Technology
News and Events
San Jose, March 30, 2015
Join Dentons as we sponsor the The 2nd IP Counsel Exchange on Post-Grant Patent Challenges at the PTAB March 30-31 in San Jose. Chaired once again by the Hon. James D. Smith, Chief Administrative Judge, Patent Trial and Appeal Board, U.S. Patent & Trademark Office you will benefit by gaining behind-the-scenes insights directly from the PTAB bench. Adapt and tailor your IP litigation skills – this is an event counsel responsible for overseeing or assisting in managing a client’s patent portfolio. Read more
Recent Press Releases
December 16, 2014
08 August 2014
Pravo.ru has released the annual law firms ratings. As in previous years Dentons has received high rankings in overall rating TOP-50 legal firms as well as in key practices ratings. Read more
August 4, 2014
Global law firm Dentons advised Finatem Beteiligungsgesellschaft on the acquisition of lichtbasis meissner – spahn gmbh. The purchase was effected including a reinvestment of the previous shareholders/management and, therefore, is at the same time a management and owner buy-out. The transaction was carried out through a financing provided by BHF-Bank AG. The parties agreed not to disclose the volume of the transaction. Read more
A cross-border Dentons team completed two transactions on behalf of Mblox Incorporated, a Silicon Valley-based technology company and the world's largest application-to-person (A2P) mobile messaging provider. In a short time frame, a team of lawyers based in the US and UK successfully advised Mblox two strategic technology company acquisitions. Read more
View all press releases for Intellectual Property and Technology