Businesses around the globe value intellectual property and technology services. These services allow maximum efficiency for companies, providing their customers with their own unique services. In perpetual motion, players must create innovative products and services to feed constant and escalating market demand. Everyone from the developer to the user has an enormous amount invested in products. In this high-stakes environment, you need protection for your original work. This requires a partner with extensive knowledge of different solutions who can choose the best legal remedy.
Dentons’ lawyers understand these requirements and work relentlessly to protect your investment, whether it’s a new medical device, company logo or computer software program. Together, we address complex legal questions with advice tailored to your business needs. From protecting intellectual property rights, through advising on data security issues, technology licensing and sourcing strategies, you receive practical and informed guidance.
Our integrated approach to litigation, counseling and transactions is a powerful strategy that delivers optimal results to you. To provide you with seamless service, members of our Intellectual Property and Technology (IP&T) practice frequently team with lawyers from other practice areas. Our enviable track record includes representing individual inventors, artists and entrepreneurs, public institutions, emerging companies, venture capital groups and global corporations.
Protecting your work to the highest caliber drives our efforts to learn about and promote the latest developments in the intellectual property arena. Our IP&T professionals lecture, teach and publish on intellectual property subjects. Additionally, we participate in committees of related organizations.
More About Intellectual Property and Technology
- Canadian purchaser: Advising on 405 linocuts by Pablo Picasso worth $20 million and the charitable donation of this highly significant art to an art gallery in Saskatchewan. Our advice covers issues relating to the purchase, export of the art from England and importation of the art into Canada, donation, transportation, insurance and taxation of this noteworthy donation, the largest in the province's history.
- Converse Inc.: Advising on highly complex trademark litigation regarding the distribution of counterfeit Converse Chuck Taylor All Star shoes by a major retail chain resulting in a landmark decision by the German Federal Court of Justice; the ruling stated that the defendant must prove that the products sold are authentic and that the trademark owner must only substantiate that the products are counterfeit. Given that there is an exception if the defendant can prove that the trademark holder employs an exclusive distribution system, this ruling has shifted the future focus of trademark infringement cases to the ”struggle for reversing the burden of proof”.
- Global entertainment company: Advising in regards to intellectual property enforcement and litigation in Canada with respect to trade-mark and copyright infringement, counterfeit goods, domain name disputes and brand dilution.
- Leading multinational high-tech company: Representing company in a major ongoing patent litigation in France (on the merits and preliminary injunction) regarding the continuity of the sale of some of its products in France.
- Major multinational online music service provider: Advising on the copyright clearances required to launch in Canada. Our assistance helped lay the groundwork for the continued worldwide expansion of this popular, cutting-edge music service.
- Monsanto Company: Serving as outside patent counsel to the global agricultural biotechnology company, processing a substantial portion of their patents and managing patent portfolios worldwide.
- Several luxury brand owners: Advising in obtaining the seizure, delivery up and destruction of counterfeit luxury goods together with interim and permanent injunctions to prevent the continued distribution of the branded goods.
- Steam distribution and sand control company: Advising for enhanced recovery solutions in the oil and gas industry leading to the successful defense of an action involving claims of patent infringement and invalidity in respect of slotted liner technology.
- Vkontakte: Advising one of the largest Eastern European social network on almost all legal aspects of the company’s activities in Russia. For years our team has handled a large number of high-profile litigation cases for the client regarding the network’s liability for illegal audio and video content uploaded by users. Some court decisions for these cases set precedents in Russia and have been actively discussed in mass media sources. Our work demonstrated our ability to handle highly complex litigations to the benefit of our clients. In addition to a series of litigation mandates, our team has recently advised the client on data protection issues, corporate, employment, and general commercial issues. We have also achieved a recognition of the VKontakte logo as a well-known trademark in the Russian Federation.
- Yahoo!: Representing the online service giant in a variety of transactions involving content, data feeds and technology licensing. We also work with the company on various Internet issues including online privacy, publishing issues, contracting and pending legislation.
December 1, 2014
May 23, 2014
Ten Firm practices were included among Law360's lists of the Top 100 largest global practices, with five earning top-five rankings. The Real Estate, M&A and Insurance practices were each ranked fourth in their respective categories, while the Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy practice and the Environmental and Natural Resources practice were ranked fifth in the Bankruptcy category and the Environmental category, respectively. Firm practices also earned spots among the top 25 in the Securities and White Collar, Competition, Employment, IP and Product Liability categories. Read more
May 7, 2014
The 2014 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business ranks 111 total Dentons practices and lawyers and marks the advancement of key Firm practices and individuals to national Band 1 recognition. Read more
Dentons Paris IP partner David Masson has published a five-page article entitled “brevet unitaire: il faut saisir la balle au bond”, (Unitary patents – we must seize the opportunity) in reference legal publication Cahiers de Droit de l’Entreprise. Read more
View all recognition for Intellectual Property and Technology
January 26, 2015
January 21, 2015
In 2012, the America Invents Act (AIA) created new Patent Office procedures for challenging the validity of issued US patents. These procedures have become widely used as a quicker, cheaper alternative to challenge the validity of patents, when compared to litigation. Read more
January 21, 2015
Recently patent practitioners and US Patent Office (PTO) examiners received additional, and much needed, guidance for determining whether certain types of inventions are eligible for patent protection. Read more
In response to the numerous enquiries and issues reported by participants in the telecoms market and discussed inter alia during a meeting with Ms Magdalena Gaj (UKE Chairperson) and Mr Adam Jasser (UOKiK Chairperson) organized by Amcham Digital Economy / Dentons back in July, UKE and UOKiK developed a joint position on the relationship between the Telecommunications Law (the “PT”) and the Consumer Rights Act (the “PK”) that came into force on December 25, 2014. Read more
View all insights for Intellectual Property and Technology
News and Events
San Jose, March 30, 2015
Join Dentons as we sponsor the The 2nd IP Counsel Exchange on Post-Grant Patent Challenges at the PTAB March 30-31 in San Jose. Chaired once again by the Hon. James D. Smith, Chief Administrative Judge, Patent Trial and Appeal Board, U.S. Patent & Trademark Office you will benefit by gaining behind-the-scenes insights directly from the PTAB bench. Adapt and tailor your IP litigation skills – this is an event counsel responsible for overseeing or assisting in managing a client’s patent portfolio. Read more
Recent Press Releases
January 16, 2015
December 22, 2014
IPT Paris Partner David Masson organized a leading Luxury and E-commerce conference on January 15 entitled “Luxury and E-commerce: how to manage an outstanding brand image” in association with the prestigious Sciences Po University. Read more
December 16, 2014
Global law firm Dentons has advised Gienanth GmbH on the sale to Deutsche Beteiligungs AG (DBAG) and the in-house DBAG Fund VI in the framework of a double-sided trusteeship. DBAG and DBAG Fund VI will hold 100 percent of Gienanth. Read more
Pravo.ru has released the annual law firms ratings. As in previous years Dentons has received high rankings in overall rating TOP-50 legal firms as well as in key practices ratings. Read more
View all press releases for Intellectual Property and Technology